Tuesday, September 20, 2011

haiku retrospective ccxxx

It's been a dark and stormy week. The power has been off more than it's been on. We've spent several evenings sitting in the dark by the fire listening to the rain and wind outside.

At night, I try to think of things the kids can do by candle light.

lights out
watching the rain
through a paper snowflake


We dust off our musical instruments, sing, and play games. The kids play flashlight tag and stage tumbling shows in the bedroom.

candlelit viola
playing “good king wenceslas”
by touch


I play Scrabble with my older children. The wash of the tiles brings back memories of stormy nights spent with my grandmother.

Last night, a thunderstorm started while I slept. I dreamed that someone up the road was playing Scrabble. The tiles thundered through my dreams.

“Oh why can't they be quieter?” I fretted in my sleep.

I woke to a tremendous roar of thunder, my mind still tangled in the dream.

thunder clap
god's word earns
a triple letter bonus

20 December 2002

No comments: