Getting ready to go to the hospital one morning, I happened to notice my parents' valentines to one another on their entry hall table. I picked up the pink confectionary cards and read the short, loving notes on them. Placing them back carefully, I am reminded of how my parents' love and devotion for one another is a warm fire at the heart of my father's struggle with cancer. The naked heart of love is everywhere apparent in their lives.
Living in the Santa Cruz mountains, I often receive gifts of sudden beauty:
- Rounding the bend in the road to see the mountain in the evening light.
- Seeing the sun flash out behind a cloud to illuminate the white crown of a sycamore.
- The trees opening to reveal a sky full of crystalline winter stars.
- The scent of first violets in the bouquet presented to me by my son.
- The redwoods' branches tossing merrily in the breeze.